AMS Affiliation & Your Program
Achieving AMS affiliation is a signal that a Montessori teacher education program is of the highest quality.
Teacher education programs that successfully undergo the process of affiliation by the American Montessori Society are affirmed as meeting rigorous, internationally recognized standards of Montessori teacher preparation.
AMS-affiliated teacher education programs are part of a global membership organization that influences the direction of Montessori education. Achieve affiliation for your TEP and you will be helping to support successful outcomes for adult learners worldwide.
You will gain:
- Connection with the AMS teacher education team, made up of former AMS TEP directors and other experienced and passionate staff who are ready to support you in building an inspirational and vigorous credential course.
- Membership in the AMS Teacher Education Section, a forum for teacher educators to develop a knowledge base in the instruction of and best practices for the preparation of Montessori educators.
- An invitation to the annual Montessori Teacher Educators Day, the ultimate blend of finding your people, reconnecting with what matters, learning, and sharing tools and strategies for professional growth. Register by the Early Bird deadline and there is no fee. Hundreds of people attend each year.
- Voting rights in AMS elections and access to valuable, members-only resources. You will also have opportunities to have your program news highlighted in our monthly members newsletter, The Prism (16,000 recipients) and quarterly magazine, Montessori Life (approximately 56,000 readers per issue).
- Representation on the board of directors of the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE), the federally recognized accrediting body of all AMS-affiliated programs.
Types of Programs
Teacher education programs are not one-size-fits-all. Prospective adult learners appreciate variety and choice—and so do we. You are eligible to apply for AMS affiliation for your program if it is any of the following:
- Within an accredited university or college
- Within an educational organization, such as a Montessori school
- A freestanding institution that exists for the sole purpose of operating a teacher education program
In addition, you may either offer all of your instruction in person, or as a blend of experiences that take place in person and online.
Affiliation & Accreditation
AMS affiliation requires your program simultaneously to pursue accreditation by the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE). This pertains to all course levels except Administrator. AMS and MACTE have a streamlined process for this, which allows you to submit much of the documentation only once to meet the requirements of both.
The AMS teacher education staff is standing by to support you throughout the process of affiliation.
The process includes writing a self-study, gathering documents such as course syllabi, and completing applications for AMS and MACTE.
Highly qualified Montessori educators review the documents and the process culminates in a joined onsite visit with AMS and MACTE verifiers.
The process is our way of ensuring that any Montessori teacher education program granted AMS affiliation demonstrates fidelity to our standards of excellence. We hope and trust that you will find it to be purposeful and enriching.
Here are 3 steps you can take now to get started on the road to AMS affiliation:
- Order the AMS Handbook for Teacher Education Program Affiliation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost is $45 (sent separately, once we acknowledge your order).
- Order the MACTE Guide to Accreditation (and Self-Study Checklist). Email email@example.com.
- Download this information sheet. It will give you a high-level overview of what you can expect on your journey to affiliation.
A Teacher's Perspective
My team and I are here to help. Please contact us to schedule a personalized information session. We look forward to getting to know you.Email Us Today
AMS Affiliation Handbook
The "AMS Handbook for Teacher Education Program Affiliation" is the essential, go-to resource for any teacher education program seeking affiliation by the American Montessori Society. It has detailed information about:
- The affiliation process, timeline, and fees
- Standards for teacher education programs (by course level)
- Standards for practicum sites
- Standards for online learning
- Qualifications for teacher education program personnel
- And much more
The "Affiliation Handbook" will leave you prepared and confident to start—and to navigate through—the AMS affiliation process.